Writer's Block
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Writer's Block

For anybody with Literary skills and would like to display their work and/or have it critiqued by other members

HomeRegisterPortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchLog in

Waiting on Disaster

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Vulpes

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-12-07

Waiting on Disaster Empty
PostSubject: Waiting on Disaster   Waiting on Disaster Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 8:40 pm

Before the earthquake, I had a cup of tea. Earl Grey, extra dark, extra bitter as usual. Most of the other townsfolk had already left. They had left for relatives’ places, temporary disaster shelters and the sort, preparing for the worst. But me, I made a cup of tea. I nailed my furniture to the floor. I taped my books to the shelf, the paintings and art prints to the walls. I glued the toilet seat up. I pasted my dominoes upright on the living room rug. Then I finished the milk. Checked the provisions in the cupboard. I made sure things were secure.

And I looked out the window, behind the curtain, at the equipment and trailers parked outside. A team of geologists arrived at my door, setting up camp around the block. It’s going to happen, they said. It's going to start right under your living room, they said. It had been meaning to happen for some time now, they assured. They told me it wasn’t safe. They told me to go. I said no, unwilling to absquatulate. They shook their heads. They asked about building codes and emergency supplies, flashlights and sturdy shoes, to turn off the utilities, and good luck. And they left with radio chatter on their belts.

So I made myself some tea. I double-checked clothes hangers and other free-hanging, free-standing objects. I thought about what I will do after the earthquake.

Later, when everything crumbles and car alarms sound off and the cracks in the sidewalks widen, no longer cracks that you can skip over, but chasms that command leaping and bounding and hurdling over, I might run. I might flail my arms theatrically and scream and check on the dominoes still trembling on the living room floor in the aftershocks. I might pick up broken dishes that defied adhesives, unbend contorted metal.

But for now, I’ll sit in my chair for a while. I’ll lean back, all the way back, supporting myself on only the rear two legs. I’ll lean back almost to the point of no return. Until it teeters on its edges, balancing. Then I’ll wait for it.
Back to top Go down
Digitalis
The owner, yah know?
The owner, yah know?
Digitalis

Female
Number of posts : 72
Where are you? : With mah stuff. :D
Job/hobbies : Running mah site.
Humor : Nothing is funnier than me. xD. o.O
Registration date : 2008-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Waiting on Disaster   Waiting on Disaster Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 5:19 pm

O.O omfg. thats great. XD the tension in it was amazing. nice word choice as well.
Bravo Vulpsey
Back to top Go down
Kyoko-_**
Lost bunny
Lost bunny
Kyoko-_**

Female
Number of posts : 286
Where are you? : on a floating dot in a place called space...
Registration date : 2008-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Waiting on Disaster   Waiting on Disaster Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 10:12 am

W O W

i've never even read one like this before...
amazing....
i'll definitely look out for your other works... ^^
Back to top Go down
http://www.friendster.com/mirouhime
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Waiting on Disaster   Waiting on Disaster Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Waiting on Disaster
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Writer's Block :: Prose :: Fiction-